Google+

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My "Roses for Margaery" Sock Sadness... Running Out of Yarn While Knitting

Has this ever happened to you?  It's a first for me.  Normally, my overly compulsive urge to hoard gorgeous yarn kicks in when I'm at the counter of my local yarn shop and I buy an extra ball or skein.  Guess what I didn't do this time.  Grrrrr. 
I suppose the good thing about this is the fact that I'm knitting.  I got a little carried away for a while with the natural dyeing.  That's on hold until I recover from a massive sunburn.  Ugh.  The dangers of foraging. 

And spinning!  I'm hooked!  Ever tried drop spindling?  Very fun.  You can take it on the go.  Love drop spinning.  But right now I'm using my LeClerc wheel. 
Loving the colours!  I bought this 4oz bag of roving from a Canadian Etsy shop owner Zenitude.  She vacuum seals the roving so it really cuts down on shipping costs.  When you open the bag, the fiber puffs right up!  This is the above spinning, called "Summer Days."  Groovy!
So what are you spinning or knitting?
~Nin

8 comments :

  1. I. Need. A Wheel! That is some gorgeous stuff. Did you ever resolve your toe problem? I've been wanting to experiment with contrasting toes & heels myself. Perhaps the universe is trying to tell you something... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you can get your hands on a wheel, I highly recommend it! I got this little baby for $75CND off of kijiji from a woman who had it bought brand new as a "show piece." She NEVER EVER spun on it!!!! Strange, huh? As for the toe issue, I'm stealing from the other sock that is almost completed today. Sigh, it's not ideal, but I need at least one for a photoshoot. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something, like experiment with an after thought heel! LOL

      Delete
  2. Drop spinning is my favorite. I can't afford a wheel so Drop Spinning is my go to for when I need a spinning fix. Man I'm sorry about the socks, they are so pretty, it's just sad to see someone run out with so little left to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Lisa, it is so true! I always felt bad when I saw it happen to others, but I never thought running out would happen to me. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks for the compliment. It will be nice when these are released on Ravelry as one of my new designs.
    Spinning fixes! That's a great way to describe it! LOL Makes use fiber addicts a little kooky if we can't get a spin on. I love drop spindling too. Do you have any fancy ones? I've only got ones I've made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks are lovely, how awful that you ran out right at the end like that, I hope you manage to get them finished somehow. Welcome to the stash-buster challenge ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda! I'm really excited to stash-bust, and Gram, she's waaaayyyy ahead of me. She'll be doing a post soon about her work. As for the socks, thanks for the complement. I've been sulking, but today the sun is shining, and those babies are getting off the needles! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks are beautiful! I hope you can scrounge up the yarn to finish that toe - you're so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement! And I did find the yarn to finish... I took it from the other sock :P ... A one sock photo shoot is in my future. sheesh!

      Delete